October 17, 2014

Dante's Lesson.



A year ago I stumbled onto Dan Brown’s Inferno.  To compare some of the quotes I opened a copy of Dante’s Inferno, not the video game, but the first book of the Commedia trilogy, and began to read the first lines:


“Midway along the journey of our life
I woke to find myself in some dark wood,
for I had wandered off from the straight path...”


Yes, I thought, I know what that’s like. 

I kept reading and did not stop until weeks later, after I had drudged with Dante through Hell, climbed with him up the mountain of Purgatory, and blasted through the heavens to see Paradise.


“How hard it is to tell what it was like,
this wood of wilderness, savage and stubborn
(the thought of it brings back all my old fears),
a bitter place! Death could scarce be bitterer.
But if I would show the good that came of it
I must talk about things other than the good.”

Suddenly, it all made sense.



8 comments:

frenchtoast said...

The quotes and words you have chosen are in the very spirit of Dante’s message. Thank you.

Syl v O said...

Now that is something to wrap your mind around for a little while.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! Three cheers to Beatrice xoxo

Anja said...

Thank you. Fine thought.

Tartanscot said...

All that said, I enjoyed your contribution.

Ms. Edna (squared) said...

Thanks gang

Gerald McEachern said...

"But if I would show the good that came of it
I must talk about things other than the good." A very tricky thing, that, but the only way, really. Thanks, Edna.

Alistair said...

I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.
— Leonardo da Vinci
Happy 2015