January 18, 2011

To Kindle,or not to Kindle…♬

There, I’ve bought an electronic reader, but I’m feeling guilty towards my library!

I am a shameless bibliophile but also an “adapter” of new technologies. Yet, I have not been schlepping the device around with me, even so it will store a big chunk of my library and the neighborhood's newsstand.

I am tactile and love touching books feeling the pages, the type, smelling the paper and the ink. Too many books have remained favorite reads. I have read them in different languages over the years (talk about obsession!) and I can’t imagine getting the same pleasure from an electronic reader.

Could I have appreciated Apollinaire’s poetry without these delicious covers?


















Or, La Fontaine's?



No paper? Would they relish being read on a gadget? Knowing them, I would say, NON!















The art of bookmaking-of printing and paper making-is one of the most respected of the many crafts in which artisans excel. I often have observed them, and I am pleasantly surprised to see that this beautiful art is not dead. Restoring old books—resewing the pages, making new covers —with a lot of love, attention, and reverence is a bibliophiles delight.

Don’t these beautiful editions feel/sound/look better on paper? 

See...gone digital…

Jiri Slíva «SATIRIKON’80» (Karikaturen aus sozialistischen Ländern)
Berlin Eulenspiegel Verlag


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't follow the e-book and e-reader business very closely, and I won't be buying either until there's an open source reader that will allow me to buy and read e-books from any vendor. My idea of Hell is buying a Kindle and being forced to buy e-books only from Amazon and nowhere else.

Gutenberg 2011 said...

(1) Batteries and power supplies and cords
(2) Breakage (I just broke LCD screen on my digital camera--it can't be fixed)
(3) Obsolescence and tech changes
(4) Initial cost
(5) Duplicates other systems (I've GOT a laptop; GOT a netbook!)
(6) Another thing to lug
(7) Hard to make notes in the margin, underline, and otherwise personalize
(8) Not particularly green
(9) Books still have irreplaceable/unreplicatable features
(10) Low Luddite appeal

I stick with Gutenberg